Friday, March 2, 2018

Voice of Turkey Retrospective


The Voice of Turkey like so many broadcasters in the Middle East and Central Asia were always difficult to catch when I lived in the western United States. When I did finally hear Turkey, back in the mid-1970s, I managed to obtain their QSL and a beatiful cloth calendar depicting an Ottoman Sultan and his court. 

When I settled in Malaysia, the Voice of Turkey became a station I listened to on a regular basis, particularly because of the Turkish music and some of the cultural programmes. Of course, it helped too that Turkey had powerful transmitters like the 500kW monsters in Emirler. 

Consequently, many QSL cards were received on a neatly monthly basis, along with many souvenirs including coasters, bookmarks and bags featuring Turkish motifs. The QSL cards almost always featured Turkey's iconic landmarks, national and religious holidays and historical personalities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment